Monday, February 29, 2016

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Hardcover338 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Harper

Number is series:  #1
ISBN:  0062085484
Characters:  Adam Kent, Juliette Ferrars

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My recommendation:  Lots of action for the boys and a little romance for the girls.  I liked the quick pace and consistent plot--unlike other books that try to explore a post-apocalyptic world, I found that this book was easy to follow and didn't try to overload me on details of a war-torn society.  The details were slowly piled onto the poetic, almost lyrical text and I found myself sucked into this world where Juliette has to decide if it's worth living in a world where she can't touch a soul without destroying them.  Enter Adam, the handsome soldier that she knew during her childhood and one instantly understands why Juliette can't decide to trust him with her life or run screaming in the other direction.  While I did find Juliette to be a little weak willed and whiny (lots of gasping, crying, trembling, etc.) her few moments of bravery almost made up for the stereotypical "damsel in distress" behavior.

Read Alikes:  I am Number Four, Divergent, The Maze Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment